Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cart #3.5 - Fuego


Fuego has 11 carts in their burrito making army.

The choices are limited, but solid. You can have flour or whole wheat (50 cents extra), chicken or vegetarian, sour cream (free), guacamole (.75 extra), spinach (.50 extra), hot or mild salsa. Burritos come standard with black beans and brown rice. You choose to have your burrito big or small. There is a price difference of about $1 between the two, but it was obvious that Kendra had burrito envy when she observed the hefty girth of my large chicken"little donkey" (that's what burrito translates into, FYI) and compared it to her small vegetarian.

Pound for Pound, i estimate that the burrito at Fuego will ultimately cost you roughly $2 more compared to most other downtown burrito carts.

The cart that we went to was "out" of spinach and guacamole. But when I looked disappointed and started weeping, the kind lady gave me two dollops of guacamole. Take that guacamole! I ate it, it was pretty good. The brown rice was healthy tasting. The burrito tasted fresh and clean. It was a tad dry.

Comparing Fuego to other burrito carts such as Los Locos, Villenueva, or La Jarochita is a fool's endeavor. The latter burrito carts are bigger, greasier, and make you sleep within 1 hour. The Fuego burrito is light and healthy tasting. What are you into? That's what you need to ask yourself. Do it now. Write the answer down.

Fuego didn't blow my mind, but it will probably not blow my bowels out either. Trade-offs. It's all about what you value. For me, I choose the cheap, greasy, tasty burrito from "sketchy" cart with a 50% chance of explosion. That's just me. That's who I am.

4 comments:

janebob said...

I gotta say, you guys give great (and might I add detailed) reviews. I feel like I walked down and had lunch with ya'll after all. I just hope none are of the SBD variety.

scotty said...

Cam.... not only do you suck! you are an f'en baby.... boo-hoo-hoo no spinach no corn flakes no syringes....

Anonymous said...

Fuego didn't blow my mind, but it will probably not blow my bowels out either.

I think we have a food critic in the making!

Boozer said...

I have to say. Fuego's got some purdy damn good hot dogs too! Mmmmmm chicken apple sausage. How many points is that?